Thursday, November 13, 2008

Speaking French

Last beef of the day...

A few weeks ago, my friends the Twins, were complaining about how they felt used for their English. I did not feel this way at the time, but today I definatly did. I understand when people hear my accent that they may reply in English, fair enough, but when I speak back in French they should get the idea that I can actually speak the language.

Today, on two occasions I had people explicity speak to me in English and be like, this is great, I can practice my English. I let them know that this is not the case, and that if they would like to speak English, that they can go to Canada... but that while I am in France, I will not speak to native French speakers in English.

The guy continued to speak in English, so I discontinued the conversation. I refuse to have people exploit my English. I will correct their English in their essays if they ask, but only under the pretext that they then correct my French ones in the future.

No comments: