Thursday, November 20, 2008

General updates

I cannot believe it is only Thursday. This week has been long, for no particular reason.

I had an exposé Monday for my Nobel prize of litterature course. I had to present on Thomas MANN, a German author who won the prize in 1929 for his epic novel the Buddenbrooks which he wrote in 1901 at the age of 25. The presentation went well, and I found that the research on teh author was quite interesting. After the presentation we were immediatly given our critiques, which were not that bad. The professor then went on to comment how he loves when international students speak French, and that he liked my pronounciation and thought I had a fairly high but pleasant voice...he then announced the marks for that days presentations at the end of class in front of everyone.

Tuesday, I went to the Young Adults group at the church I am attending. Young adults here include anyone from 18-35 years, but some people who are older than that come too. There were about 40 people that went. A nice evening. However, the day was not great. I went to SFR to complain about my lack of internet again. It has been over a month, and I am still waiting for a technician to call me to make an appointment to come install it. When the dude informed me he could do nothing, and that I just have to keep waiting, I burst into tears. This brings the count to 5, 5 being the number of times the internet has made me cry while in Paris.

Wednesay was also a fun day. In my Asian Cinema class, after having a short debat on religion, the professor asked me if I attended church. I replied yes, he then asked if I went everyweek. I said usually. Unable to prove his point that only old people attend church he simply said, "Bless you". On my way home, I stopped at SFR again, this time more composed, and the guy, who knows me by my first name now says he called his manager yesterday since my emotional display the day before made him uncomfortable. He tells me his manager has taken it into his own hands to resolve my situation. I tell him that while I appreciate that, I just want to know when someone shall call me. Wednesday evening entailed meeting up with friends at the student restaurant, going to a salsa bar, and walking down the Seine.

Today, Thursday, I am going to see "The President's Last Bang" at the Korean Film Festival. It is by IM Sang Soo, the director I will study for my upcoming Asian Cinama research. The film is about the assassination of former Korean President Park Chung Hee. he special thing about the screening tonight is that the film will be shown in its original format, and not its censored theatrical release one. The film finishes at 11:45pm, and then I have 2 classes at 8am tommorow! Any suggestions for cities to go to for a day trip Saturday? I am thinking somewhere in Normandy.

No comments: