Monday, November 24, 2008

F*&% SFR

My quest for internet has, as pointed out by a friend, turned itself into an epic novel that just won't end. Last Thursday, Laure, the lady in Paris who has been helping me integrate into life here (one of Ulrika's friends), helped me call the customer service number to find out what was happening with my account. It turns out that it reached maturity a while back and was never re-activated which is why they did not call. I feel very lucky to have her help me, since when I went to the store, and called the number myself I was unable to get any information or help.

She got them to move their asses though, and since it has taken over 3 weeks to get it installed, I get my first month free. (woot, but I was willing to pay for it in order to have it a month earlier). Anyways, France Telecom FINALLY called me today, to make an appointment to install my line. Their earliest appointment being Thursday December 4th between 9-11am. I have taken this appointment, but since I ordered it on October 21st, which will make the delay 6.5 weeks long. Since I get one month free for it being more then 3 weeks to install, I think I should get 2 months for free since it will take over 6 weeks to install!!!

Being a student in Paris, I really do not have time to waste going back to the phone company, and getting on their ass so I can PAY them to have their internet service. I have essays to write, and having a landline is also vital. I can't continue having to go to friend's houses everytime i want to check my email, since the schools internet is only available for a total of 6 hours on weekends. I am not the only one in France to have to deal with BS on this matter; one of my professors is also sans internet at the moment. The French really do not know how to provide good customer service, in my opinion.

2 comments:

Dave said...

ok - so that kind of worries me a bit. I couldn't imagine living for that long without internet. By any chance, do you have a provider that you would recommend?
I know that both SFR and Orange (France Telecom) offer home service. It sounds like you've had trouble with both?

Is there one that is less bad than the other?

Nancy said...

Hey,
so, you are right, they both provide home services. However, all telephone lines must be constructed by France Telecom. So, when you get internet from SFR and you need a line constructed what actually happens is they get France Telecom to install it. Since they want you to choose them, they do this for about 1/4 of the price of just going to France Telecom. However, since SFR is not Orange, they take their time installing the line. So, if you need a line installed, go directly to Orange (France Telecom) since that will save the work from bouncing between people. What ultimatly happened to me, was that it got lost in the transfer, and both sides blamed the other for the delay and claimed it was not in their hands. So, if you want good cheap internet another option is going to Darty. Darty instructs you to go straight to France Telecom, get them to quickly install your line (should take 3-4 days) and then they will give you their internet box and REIMBURSE you for getting the line installed at France Telecom. Also, most places already have lines installed, so you most likely won't come across this issue. I wish I knew this all before myself, and at this point, I think I will just wait it out with SFR since it should *fingers cross* be resolved soon. And, they will give me a discount due to the delay.

One good thing though about internet here is that for 30 Euros you get: internet, TV, and telephone (including free calls to landlines in France, Europe, North America, and a few other countries, however, you still will have to pay about 0.20/min for calls to mobile phones).