Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Nancy Cecilia Barcelona

I just got back from my trip to Barcelona with my two new American friends Cecilia and Nick. Nick's name is not included in the title due to pop culture, and is not an attempt to make his presence insignificant.

Barcelona is just what I needed after being in rainy Paris and Switzerland. However, realizing how nice and sunny it is so near by, I had ask myself, what am I doing living in Paris?

Barcelona is a beautiful city filled with colour and life. It is small enough that we managed to get around most days by foot. We visited works by Gaudi, which were I have to say amazing. The church being constructed is approximatly 20 years from completion and the outside is at the moment a lot more impressive than the inside. Due to this one can almost feel ripped off after paying to see inside, but since the money goes towards the construction, it is at least towards a good cause.

I was alone my first night in Barcelona and arrived at the hostel at about 1030. I walked to the hostel from the train station because I found the bus system confusing and didn't want to wait around. I took my hand drawn map and found the hostel 30 minutes later with little trouble. I do not reccomend this hike to others though because I was approached by 3 people during the walk who all seemed very sketchy, I had all my belongings on me, and Barcelona has a lot of pick-pocketers and theifs. I arrived there and met the 2 Australian girls staying in my room and went to sleep. (exciting details... I know)

The second night me and Cecilia went to see Vicky Christina Barcelona at a theatre with no other tourists. We had seen just enough of the city that day to be like "Oh! I know where that is!" throughout the movie.

On the third night (Cecilia's second, Nick's first) we went to watch FC Barcelona vs. Madrid. We found out about the game through other's at the hostel. The crowd there was amazing. It was the biggest stadium I have ever been to.

The next day we saw the Picasso Museum, also very neat, and hiked around the city some more. We ate tapas and had bread with tomatos mushed on it (yummy!). We then, as requested by Nick, had a siesta. :)

No comments: