Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Crazy Christmas Day

Christmas day, started off nicely as I explained in my previous post. However, the moment I stepped out the door, WHAM! I go flying up, land flat on my back and my head hits the ground. Luckily I was well dressed in my winter coat and jeans, as opposed to shorts and a t-shirt which I was wearing only moments before.

What made me fly? A Giant 80 kilo dog, who belongs to a visiting chef from Madrid, ran through me while chasing pint-sized Nova.

Why was I nearly only wearing shorts? Because I was being taken to the Medeterrainian to go for a swim of course! It was my early "Polar Bear" Swim, and the weather and water temperature can be equated to a chilly day on Hornby Island. It was really nice! This is my second time to the sea in 4 months, and this is serving to satisfy my saltwater craving. As a tradition my family walks to Spanish Banks on Christmas day, so I felt I was at least keeping up with part of the tradition.

Finally back at the Chateau, we had a lunch made my Etien, and the Chef from Madrid. We at a bird that has a name that sounds like "Petard". We also had: Oysters, cheeses, and Foie Gras. The whole week was tough on me, food wise. As, in France, I have decided to eat anything prepared for me, I had a lot of new experiences. I ate: Oysters (4), Muscles, Clams, Calamary, "Petard", Steak, Veal, Chicken, Foie Gras, Sausage... oy.

After we ate our meal, I took a minute to use the computer. Sitting there, I looked out the door to the hallway and saw the 91 year old fall over backwards. I called for Ulrika, Peter and Frederique. They came down to help him, but at the same time Frederick was overwhelmed with a pain in her stomach. Etien took her to the hospital, as we dealt with the 91 year old at the Chateau. Having him go to bed, it was left with me, Ulrika, Peter, and the 96 year old to have dinner. Etien and Frederique stayed at the hospital all night.

Typing this day out doesn't make it sound quite as crazy as it was. However, by 6pm we were all ready to sleep as it all happened in a very short amount of time. The entire week was filled with little things like this.

Anyhow, I am in Paris again now, relaxing. I received a couple more cards here, and picked up a package from my Mom, Geoffrey and Brittany. I'll post pictures by the end of the week.

4 comments:

PhilB said...

You probably mean a Pintade.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pintade

It is known in English as a Guinea Fowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numida_meleagris

Phil

Lisa said...

Merry Christmas! Jebus, that's a huge dog...being 5'3" I would've been bulldozed.

Nancy said...

to add a small detail to the story... when the old guy fell... and Ulrika came to help him he ask (in French): "Am I dead?" and I later overheard him saying how he doesn't want to live anymore. So stressful for those trying to care for him.

And yes Phil, I think you are right! Thank you!

And yes Lisa, you would have been demolished indeed!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas Nancy. I hope u didn't fall too hard. I can't believe u swam in this weather!!! You're crazy