Saturday, December 13, 2008

Despite technology, it just isn't the same...

Hello again,

This past week has been my first one with interent at my place, and with my phone that include FREE calling to European landlines and all phones in North America. With these 2 forms of communications I have been able to skype and call people. I was so excited about this prospect, but now that I have skyped and called people I realize, it is just not the same.

The issues that remain include:
  • The time difference -- I am 9 hours ahead of everyone in Vancouver, so for people who work, I am only able to call before they leave for work, or perhaps at lunch, and then on weekends.
  • Different billing systems -- Most of my friends in Vancouver, who do not work during the day, only have unlimited calling after 6 or 8pm. This means that even if they are free, they cannot speak to me due to a lack of minutes.
  • Webcams -- Not enough people have them, and they are only applicable when someone is at home on Skype anyhow. I want to see facial expressions!
  • Appointments -- I am quite free, but I am finding it hard to catch people. I have reached a billion answering machines though and really request people make them more interesting. I am sick of hearing: " so-and-so cannot come to the phone right now...", I get it, tell me something I don't know. Seriously, why not random trivia, songs, ect?
  • Lack of time -- After we do make an appointment, I expect to have a decently lengthed conversation. Think of it as though we were going out for a quick cup of coffee at Starbucks or something. I understand people are busy with their "real" lives, or just had exams, but if we set a time and date for a conversation, it would be nice if you didn't have to leave after 20 minutes.
  • Reciprocity -- Since I have the free calling and you don't, I am the one who has to make the calls. This does not mean however that you cannot send a message and request one though, or maybe even call! That is right, I have caller ID, and I can call back. I do not even know what my ringer sounds like!
  • Few and far in between -- When I speak to you, even on the phone for an hour after 3 months, I cannot possible be updated on all that has past. I find it so dissatisfying talking to people, since after I do, I just realize how much has not been said! At least I realize there will be things to talk about with people when I return.

My knowledge of everyone and everything is quickly becoming outdated, and this fact is becoming very evident. I also, do not have enough time in my life here to keep up with the life I would have had at home, and must accept that. I do hope to see you all on skype, or have brief conversations, or for you to write me HUGE emails comprising of EVERYTHING (which still shall not satisfy my want to see some moving faces). I think I shall give up a bit now though, and if we connect, then that is good. It is just that knowing how unsatisfying it is, I will reduce my degree of effort. Anyways, happy holidays and congrats to everyone finishing up on your exams!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Aww poor Nance! You sound like your efforts to reach out to other peeps are leaving you in despair. :)

Nancy said...

:( haha, I think the post makes me seem a bit more exasperated then I am. That is what happens when I write posts too soon after annoying events. Perhaps it is better this way, letting some real emotion seep its way online :P.

The documentary girl's "a little of me" blog, is really good at making thoughtful but emotionally real posts.