Saturday, December 6, 2008

France on Meds

I am healthy at the moment. Thank you to the 5 drugs the doctor gave me? Yes, 5. I had a cold forever, and went to the doctor. He gave me 3 medications to take. 2 weeks later, the cough was still present and I was given 2 different medications to take. I have never been so heavily medication for a cold in Canada.

Point of the post being: I now know why!

France does not have a National health system. It is all done by a health insurance system, were the patient has freedom to choose where to get treated. Since the patient has this choice, creating competition between doctors. To satisfy patients, the doctors give them prescriptions. This also prevents them from consulting other doctors. The result of this competition though, is that patients in France consume twice as much meds as people in other European countries!

So, French people are consuming way more meds than would be considered necessary elsewhere. While this may satisfy French patients, since people psychologically think they must be getting better when they are instructed to pop pills, it makes me uneasy. It makes me uncomfortable to go to a doctor, knowing they may be prescribing me drugs as a personal business move, and not for my health!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

It would make me uneasy too, especially if the doctor doesn't know what else you've been prescribed by other doctors and the medicines react with each other! That's how Heath Ledger died--he was taking meds for a whole bunch of ailments and they reacted negatively together.

Nancy said...

It wes the same doctor at least for me that was doing the prescribing. However, I am getting sick again! My cold is coming back! I shall go to a different doctor on Friday if it gets worse, but will definatly let him know what I have already been prescribed.

I also just realized today that since I went straight to the throat doctor(as I was told to), with out a referal (even though I was technically refered) I was charged extra. Thank goodness I am fully covered anyhow!