Tuesday, September 23, 2008

La nourriture

Now that I settled into my sweet new pad, I decided to go grocery shopping. Starting with nothing I tried to pick necessary items. These included, a baguette, cheese, pasta, NUTELLA(what french people live off of), honey, more cheese, yougurt, apple sauce, cereal, eggs, 2 apples, 2 carrots, a tomato, and milk. I really don't know how to cook yet, but this all looks yummy to me and I am learning. A friend of my aunts has had me over for dinner a few times and she has kindly explained to me how to prepare what she makes.

The french people are proud of their reputation as a skinny nation, and insist their food is just healthier in general. Their wine, cheese, and chocolate are not like ours in North America, which is why they can eat it as they wish to.

What I have noticed is the way in which people is really what makes them healthier. They seem to take more time for every meal. Dinner time here is 8, not 6. Their relationship to food is not simply a means to an ends, or for instant gratification, it is more about enjoying the food. Smaller portions of quality dishes.

Maybe I'll return healthier after picking up their culinary habits.... if I can only stop devouring an entire baguette every afternoon!

No comments: