Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Exam Time

As you know, I spent last week in Switzerland. There I had virtually no internet access as was unable to update my blog. Now, I am back in Paris, but I have exams starting Thursday. Studying for my first exam on Social Policies in Europe has proven to be difficult due to language. No, my exam is not in French, it is in English, but my professor is French and his English is not perfect. Therefore, I am having a hard time interpreting his questions. Additionally, the prof/TAs are not replying to our emails for clarification. In general it is difficult to contact professors here, and they do not have office hours. It is definatly frustrating. The most confusing is #3 "Can one speak of the three worlds of welfare reforms when looking at pension reforms, health care and employment policies?". It is unclear as to whether he wants us to analyse whther those are the three worlds of welfare reforms or if he wants us to use the three worlds of welfare capitalism to speak of the reforms. The first take is more literal, however the second approach would make more sense in that it corresponds a bit better with our readings. If he does not clear this up, I would definatly complain about it if this is the question he chooses (he will ask 1 of 5 predetermined questions). Another questions first part is "Does Europe matter?". Um, yes?

So, I promise to give you all an exciting account of my time away this weekend, but until then I must study. Hope you are all doing well!

1 comment:

lespzen said...

Hi Nancy. Can you really make sense of that question ?? I have read it and reread it and cannot make any sense of the question at all. Good luck.
I guess that foreign student who come to Canada to learn English, they must face similar difficulties as each language -even apart from vocabulary - is used so differently for another.
I am looking forward to your blog update.