Thursday, August 7, 2008

Last of the 9-5

Today is my last full day at work, and a good time to give a reflection of my last 7 months here. For those of you who don't know, I have been working as a Technical Writer at the Software company since January. It was my first full time job, and it exceeded my expectations. I will not talk about the job and its tasks. I will talk more about an overview of what I learned the past 7 months.

I learned that:
  • You don't need to ask for permission to use the washroom at work
  • 25 isn't old
  • Throwing cheese isn't a good way to get rid of crows
  • Dance fighting is a useful skill
  • Scarves make good turbans
  • Every desk needs at least 1 stuffed animal
  • The Free Food Lookout Committee [FFLC] exists and it rocks.
  • [co-op]

On a serious note:

  • You actually don't need to ask permission for much
  • You just do your job as you see fit, and comply with fairly broad set of requirements.
  • There is no formula that structures your days, no lunch bells
  • You interact with so many people and it is your own responsibility to set up the meetings necessary to get the information you need
  • The final output is an accumulation of the knowledge communicated between those you work with

The out of work, term highlights included: Boat Cruise, Olivier's house, Karaoke, YBC, Cafe Crepe, Cambie, JulyCrawl, Motorcycles, Ultimate, Red Room, Vball, Running, Ping Pong, Clint's house, Penticton, and Phil's bonfires.

I will miss everyone a lot, especially my team and the other co-ops.

No comments: