Sunday, July 5, 2009

Israel, out and about

Since camping ended, Gloria and I have not stopped moving. We spent the next day in Tel Aviv going to the Carmel market, Nevetsedik (a cute road) for lunch and then to the Beach. We started near the Dolphinarium and made out way up. On the walk up, 2 guys who happened to be walking at the same pace as us as my friend in Hebrew where Gordon beach was. It is a well known beach, and this may or not have been a conversation starter. Anyhow, we ended up hanging out with them for the afternoon at the beach. The people in Israel are very friendly. :). I also found it very interesting to speak with them, as they were my age but due to the circumstances of their country, doing very different things than I am. At 21, an Israeli is generally finishing up their army service, while a Canadian is finishing up university. They have to put thier lives on hold to serve their country and after, most want to travel. Here in Israel military service is mandatory for males and females. So, when we were talking to people at the Clara that night (a beach club... sooooo nice), it was noted that really, we were not that unsafe in Israel as everyone there is a soldier. Also, it is interesting to think that everyone we meet, their mothers even had to serve in the Army.

The next day we woke up early and went to Ein Gedi, Masada (great view!!.. a hilltop village) and then to the Dead Sea. We decided to go to the Ein Gedi Spa, as having somewhere to wash off after the Sea is important. We started off by a quick dip in the pool and then to cover our bodies in mud. It was great, covering myself from head to toe in mud. I love mud. Anyhow, after we went into the Dead Sea. It is true that you actually float! I lifted my feet and they went straight to the surface! Flipping onto my stomach, I had a hard time putting them back down... took a lot of muscle! After the nice day, we drove back to Tel Aviv and went to my friend's sister's house to watch a movie.

Today, we just lazed around and went to the beach in Tel Aviv again. I got to go SURFING with her sister's husband. I managed to catch a couple waves but never to fully stand and stay up. I didn't do too badly for my first hour of surfing. Some people there were really great. Surfing is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Israel, but people here really love it and there are great waves. I had to stop after only and hour because my legs were raw from rubbing the board. So, Gloria and I played a paddle game that is very popular here.

So, I will update again in about 3 days with news from our trip down to Eilat. :)

No comments: