Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Vancouver in Paris (and vice versa)

My mother AND Peter are here in Paris with me now. I am happy to have them both here, as they can entertain each other while I stay at home and do productive things, like writing this blog post.

Paris, is definatly not a city to go to if you want to seclude yourself from the world and people you know. Had I chosen to go on exchange in, I don't know, Dubai, I expect the number of visitors I would have received would have been a lot fewer. So far, I have seen nearly 15 people I know from home in Paris, with at least 4 more passing through before I leave. In some ways, it would be nice to have a complete break from my "old" life in Vancouver for the year to be able to fully submerge into my one here. However, I think I am doing a good job balancing the two, and it is nice being able to share the city with people I know so that once I return home, there will be people around who will have some idea of what I am talking about when I speak of things, people, and places that I have grown to love here.

Besides the fact that I have seen a lot of people from Vancouver here, the complete break is not possible, or at least would be difficult due to the internet. The internet is also a mixed blessing when integrating somewhere new. It serves as an awesome tool to learn and connect with people here, but it also tempts one to spend more time online talking to people I know, than to go out and talk in person with friends I have made here. In addition, I am getting a lot of news via Canadian and American media. I frequent the same news sources as I did before: theGlobeandmail.com, some blogs, cnn, and I nearly daily watch the daily show and the colbert report (which just yesterday became unavailable for people outside the US, making me download them from illegitimate sites, seriously, blocking out the official version will not stop anyone from watching it...). I am also able to watch my favourite TV shows here, even though I have no TV due to them being available for streaming online.

It is weird to think that in only a couple months, I will be back home, and seeing people I know from there for real, and feeling nostalgic for the friendships I have made here. However, by late August, I will have hopefully seen at least 3 people I have made friends with here, who will be passing through Vancouver, and more in the future I am sure. This experience has really made me realize how small the world is, and I have no doubt that when I do leave Paris, I will at some point re-connect with many of my friends from here, just as when I return to Vancouver I will re-connect to people from there. I am not sure I will always stay in Vancouver as I realize that it is not really that bad moving somewhere new and that making friends, when you have motivation to is also not impossible.

To conclude, I am happy to see Vancouver in Paris, and am excited for when Paris comes to Vancouver. Now, I hope my parents won't mind having some house guests :). To end on a cliche again, the world really is a small place, at least with decent priced flights and some vacation time!

No comments: