Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tourist week

Hello everyone,

I seem to have fallen out of the habit of updating! I need to restart, so I shall. What is new in France? A BIT, not so much.

From what is new with me personally: I have a friend from Vancouver staying with me this week, Gloria (find her Travel blog on my blog list). It has been fun doing a lot touristy things here with her. On sunday when she arrived we did a walking tour with NewEurope. The tour is free (donations collected at the end), and good! It is the same tour company that I did my Berlin walking tour with. Then on Monday we went walking through the Marais. The Marais is the Jewish part of Paris (and the Gay part), so we had a bit of a Jewish day. I attempted to have a Jewish day a couple weeks ago, which was a complete failure since it was a Saturday... Shabbat... so everything Jewish was closed. Anyhow, this Monday we had no problems and went around shopping, eating Falafel, ect. My friend's knowledge of Hebrew got us a free Falafel sample too! Language skills come in handy at very random times.

Tuesday (St. Patrick's Day) we went to the ballet in the evening. It was the "Troisieme Symphonie de Mahler". It was at the Opera Bastille, one of the big opera houses in Paris. We arrive at the Opera at 710, and the show was at 730, and we did not have tickets. So, we went to the last minute line up, which only sells tickets 15 min before the show, so we were actually on time! We got great seats (5th row, fairly central), for 15 euros, a great deal. The show was amazing! There were about 70 dancers accompanied by an orchestra and an opera soloist.

Yesterday we went to Versaille, which is fabulous! It is huge, we spent 7 hours walking around and just got the basic stuff visited. With my bus pass here I get free entry, so that was nice. Also, being mid-week and low season we did not experience huge lineups like many do. We took lots of pictures and shall post some here soon. At one point we asked an asian man to take our photo, and after he asked us to take one... but he pulled back the camera and handed it to his friend, he meant to take the photo WITH us, not of him. It was a great day which ended at LaRotisserie, a restaurant in Belleville which is run by a different NGO each night to raise money, the idea is neat, the food was OK, but the company was awesome as I met back up with the people I traveled with to Morocco.

Today has been chill; I went to school and am now catching up on unreplied emails and some homework. The city is on Strike today and there are big manifestations all over town. The past few weeks have been funny in that sense... pretty much all the Universities here are on strike here (not including mine, since it is an Institution and not a public University). However, we now have to present our student cards when entering the building due to apparent thefts (but I am not sure that is the real reason). I bet they lose more money hiring the security guards than they would in stolen goods. Ironically the school got occupied Tuesday afternoon by protestors who came in through a back entrance. I am not exactly sure what that all was about, but they are gone now. Some of my friends at other Universities here have been very affected by the Strikes and I have heard stories of students returning home, since their semester is already as good as a loss with their courses being suspended now for over a month. France is definatly living up to its repupation for having a lot of strikes and protests.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Hehe this post made me miss my touristy times in Paris. Remember meeting under the Arc de Triomphe? And how my language skills ended up putting the two of us in Louis Vuitton? And the strike outside of the Rodin Museum when we left?

So glad you got out to Versailles! It's a huge place, isn't it? My favourite parts were the Petit Trianon and Marie Antoinette's hamlet.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy....I have been keeping up with your blog even though I haven't commented too often. (I actually did try to comment before Christmas a few times but it never seemed to work....I don't know if it will actually work this time)
I'm really enjoying reading about your travels...It must have been wonderful to wander through Versailles at your own pace. Our experience was so different, the height of the tourist season you describe. It was in the middle of the summer and as you pointed out there were about 50 (or more) tour busses parked in the parking lot and the line up was about a half hour just to buy a ticket to get in. We went through most of the rooms at a snail's pace because of crowds and heat...but it was still worth it, it is so amazing. The neat thing that happened to us on that trip was that we had made a plan to meet up with the Clausons that day. We had just made a plan to meet up at Versilles on a particular date as we were both going to be in Paris. We hadn't arranged any definite place or time (this was back in 2000 before cell phones and emails)........The chances of running into them seemed slim to none as the day wore on and we passed thousands and thousands of people. Jordan and Tiana had been looking very forward to seeing Hilary and Andrew and were very disappointed.....and then miraculously at about 3:00 in the afternoon we crossed paths wandering through the gardens. It was really exciting, we had a great reunion and then spent the next couple of days touring Paris together. Altogether we were in Paris about 10 days and I have very many fond memories.
Anyhow, I am on spring break right now so Len and I had a wonderful little ski holiday at 108 mile ranch. Cross country skiing through the rolling ranch country was really beautiful and they have a really nice resort facility to relax and be pampered in the evenings.
Well, I will keep tuned to your blog and will also look forward to hear all your mum's up to date information when she gets back.......Bye for now..
Love, Aunty Miriam

Anonymous said...

whaaaa... GLO is with you?!!!! hope you two are having funnn!

Unknown said...

Nancy, I had such a great time touring Paris with you! We saw so much and I'm so glad the weather was great. heheh I'm glad u found time to write this post even when u were supposed to do homework :) lol Lot's of highlights especially the ballet! Hopefully you'll be able to go to a fashion show soon. I hope you come visit me too!
Thanks for everything, Gloria